Hair is a crucial part of our appearance. Good hair makes a good day, while bad hair can quickly make us look older and less dynamic.
How to boost hair growth to get luxuriant hair?
To understand the mechanism of hair growth better, let’s take a closer look at our hair. Hair grows from a hair follicle under the skin. It produces a hair shaft composed of a protein known as keratin, the same as our nails. The follicles need nutrients delivered by the bloodstream to grow healthy hair.
Understanding the hair growth cycle
The best to help hair growth is to understand how hair grows. Hair life decomposes in a three steps cycle:
- The first phase of this cycle is the anagen phase. This step is when the hair grows. Hair follicles cells divide rapidly, producing keratin hair shafts. This first phase lasts for 2 to 7 years, depending on genetics. 90% of the hair is in the anagen phase.
- Then, the hair enters the catagen phase, a transitional step lasting 2 to 3 weeks. The hair stops growing and does not receive blood supply anymore.
- Finally, the hair enters its last phase: the telogen phase. It is a rest phase lasting about three months. During this time, the “dead” hair remains attached to the follicles. When it falls, the cycle starts over.
All the hair strands follow this cycle, but they are not synched. Otherwise, they would be moments we would lose all our hair at once and be completely bald!
Natural ways to stimulate hair growth
Some hair growth factors are not modifiable. Hair growth depends on genetics and age, which we cannot change. It is not possible to modify the hair life cycle. However, there are some things to know to stimulate hair growth.
- Massaging the scalp boost hair growth!
A good scalp massage stimulates blood circulation, crucial for nutrient delivery. Massaging the scalp helps to grow healthy hair faster. It is also a great way to get rid of stress and tension.
- Keep your ends healthy!
It may seem paradoxical to say that cutting your hair will help it to grow faster. However, damaged ends often break, looking like your hair is not growing. Keeping the ends healthy helps the hair look shiny, smooth, and full of volume.
- Prevent any damage
Many hair treatments damage the hair, such as bleaching or dying. Better to avoid them to grow healthy hair.
Using heat frequently, such as a hair straightener, curler, or blow dryer, damages the hair. Letting the hair dry naturally helps not damage it and keeps it healthy and lifeful.
- Brushing is essential
This piece of hair advice has been around for centuries: brush your hair. There are many benefits of hair brushing. It distributes the natural oil throughout the hair, and it increases blood circulation in the scalp, boosting hair growth. In the past, women believed one hundred brushes a day kept the hair healthy.
- Do not overwash your hair
Washing hair is crucial to keep it clean and remove pollutants and dust. However, overwashing the hair damage it. To keep your hair healthy, limit hair washing to one every two or three days.
A good hack for shinny hair is rinse it with cold water after a shampoo.
Also, keep in mind that wet hair is vulnerable and breaks more easily. Better avoid brushing or styling damp hair.
- Silk pillowcase to avoid hair damage
A silk pillowcase may improve hair longevity by reducing hair tangles and breakage.
Live a healthy life for healthy hair
A healthy lifestyle is beneficial for the whole body. Hair is one of the leading indicators of many health problems such as stress, nutrient deficiencies, or various diseases.
Diet is a crucial factor for healthy hair. Here are the diet tips for growing luxuriant hair.
The foods to avoid for healthy hair growth:
- Starchy white foods
The ones to consume:
- Vitamins A, C, and E loaded foods
- Seeds and nuts
- Omega 3 fatty acids, iron, and zinc
- Whole grains
- Fatty fish, shrimp, oysters